Monday, September 13, 2010

A Poem for Cole


My name is Cole
My first human only wanted me for money and image
Not for the love I wanted to give
When my human grew tired he threw me away
In a busy parking lot I laid
Skinny and thirsty, too week to move
I watched as people passed by
Pretending they didn't see
pretending that there was no dog laying nearly dead by a tree


Then a woman stopped to look at me
but then she ran back to her car and drove away
And so I laid there alone thinking this was the end
Sad and tried under that tree
Thinking that no one would ever see all the love I could give



But what I didn't know was
That the woman hadn't gone far
In fact she had gone just across the street in her car
To a pet store
She ran to were the adoptions were being held
And told them that there was a dead dog
Under a tree in the parking lot next door
The rescuers looked at each other in disbelief
and quickly left to go see
Surely there wasn't a dog laying dead under a tree


A short time later I heard someone call to me
felt water being placed in the hole I had dug under the tree
I tried to get up to greet these new people
but my body just couldn't move anymore
only my tail which was wagging in glee
Then one of the rescuers picked me up and put me in the back of a car
they took me back to the pet store
Put me in a buggie then took me to the back
Once I was on the ground they fed me and gave me water
And the girl who had lifted me into the the car
told me I would never have to go back
to that hole I dug under that tree
or to the Human who had abandoned me
They told me that my breed did not matter
That they would watch over me


Later that day I went to live with a man
The kind people who had helped me called him a foster
But I stayed until he couldn't keep me any longer
I went back to the pet store over a year later
and from there to a place I had never seen before
They called it a kennel
The people were nice but I had to stay in a pen
And watch as other dogs got to leave again and again


But then I saw A face that I knew
It was the girl who had lifted me into the car
She came and they let me out of my pen
She promised me that I was going home soon
But then she left and I was back in the pen once again
A few weeks later another woman came
She loaded me into a car and took me away


I was scared and sat shaking in the front seat of her car
Sure they were putting me back under that tree
She drove and she drove not once did we stop
Passing parks and kids and owner walking their dogs
Then we pulled in to a drive of a old house
I thought I as being abandoned yet again


But there on the porch I saw the girl
The one who had lifted me into that first car
And the one who had visited me at that kennel
She took my leash and brought me inside
We went through the house
And through the back door out into a yard
She told me to greet my brothers and sister
Because this was my home at least for a while


But now just a few months later
I get to sleep on the couch
And play in that yard
I go to the dog park
and walk around the neighbor hood
And the girl who helped me by not fearing my breed
Says that this is my home
that I am a foster no more
No longer will I roam
forgotten and alone
for now I have a Home
A human that loves me because of the love I can give
And people who love me because of the same love


I am a lucky one
A Pit Bull who was saved from the brink of death
But many more aren't and still need your help
My human still fosters and I still inspire
A breed that some believe should be destroyed
I am living proof that all it takes is a kind hand to turn any dog in the right direction
Whether we are small or fluffy
Large or sick
Skinny or mistreated
Loving humans can make our lives better
So we can make other peoples lives better
By just being good dogs.
-Submitted by Meaghan Shinomori


No comments:

Post a Comment